Creativity comes from the soul of a person. Even something that is not considered by some to be very creative is still conceived in the same place. Which is why so many people are slow to show their creative sides and are very sensitive when they do. Even goofing off by using a creative ability is difficult.
I have no idea how long it took me to start singing in front of people. My best friend had a group of other friends and they were all basically music geeks. For example, by the concession stand in a movie theater, there was a spot that had really good acoustics. They all decided that they would harmonize...right there...in front of a hundred people. They all looked at me expectantly. I refused. They all knew what they were doing, and I wasn't qualified. Besides, they would only make fun of me if I did.
Even though I have gotten a little over my fear of making a fool of myself (singing whenever, wherever, and however if feel), when people say negative things, especially by way of a joke, it still hurts. I understand that they are "joking," but every joke has an element of truth. If a person cries out, "OW! My ears are in pain!" I know that they mean it to be funny (harr harr, I am really laughing), but I also know it to mean, "I don't like your voice, it is ugly, so please stop singing because you are embarrassing and awful."
Realizing this, I have made it a point to try not to make any jokingly negative comments about anything that is in any way, shape, or form creative. Be it playing an instrument, singing, drawing, sculpting, writing, or even cooking. If I don't like it, I tell them (in a tactful way, but still straight forward). It is much easier to parry a blow that is coming from the front than one that is coming from a "funny" angle. I prefer others to do that to me as well. Tell me once that you hate it and leave it at that. Chances are, I still like it, and bashing is not going to get your point across any better. If you are constantly making jokes about its awfulness, I don't know how to react, so I shut down. No more creativity, and no more closeness. My trust is broken, and you are no longer worthy of seeing my true self. The same probably goes for countless others.
So, just be careful what you say around and about people. Be courteous, and don't try to be witty because, really, you can't pull it off all that well.
1 comment:
I think the one thing that I absolutely adore about you Jude's is your well placed tact, humor, and sarcasm. Probably because I'm more like a loose cannon swiveling around on the deck of ship where any poor unsuspecting member of the crew can become the victim of my tongue. Most of the time I'm not intentionally vicious and sometimes I don't even realize that way I say can be potentially scathing until they've been cut off by my teeth.
Also, I understand about the whole to bear creative part of your soul or not to bear? That is the question.
It hasn't been until recently that I've actually shared my stories outside of my best friend, Brandon. And its because of the critical comments or eyebrow raising that I've seen in my past audiences that I kind of kept it to myself.
Now it's an absolute joy to share them with the people I trust. But I still don't think I have the guts to share them with strangers.
My brain needed food for thought and Chef Judes, you've served up another excellent meal.
Post a Comment