Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Of heroins and brownie mix

I have just decided that I am going to be the heroin of my own story.

"Aren't you always?" They say.

Nay! Sometimes, people (myself) are silly and allow others to be the heroes/heroins of their stories. So, my life is now going through a major editing session. Basically, I am re-writing everything. The characters are currently under major renovation, and the plot is going to change dramatically. Don't worry, every thing will be essentially the same...well, as far as the word "essentially" can be stretched. Ok, you get the gist.

-------------

Chocolate is probably the best discovery(next to the discovery of milk chocolate). Brownies are probably the noblest use of chocolate is the whole universe. Scratch that, they ARE the noblest.

New recipes rather scare me sometimes. Does it really taste as good as it says it does? Will it affect how people view my cooking if I follow the recipe and it is terrible?

You know, the basic paranoia.

This brownie mix claimed to be "easy." It was right there in the title, "Easy Brownies." I figured, "Well, I want the most chocolaty goodness with the least amount of effort. Let's give it a try."

That may one day win a spot with other famous last words. But I digress.

First I preheated the oven (it takes a while to heat up sometimes). Then, I set to work on the batter (a liquid or semi-liquid mixture, as opposed to dough: a soft, thick mixture). It was relatively easy.

The oven was preheated and the brownies were ready to be baked (to cook with a dry heat, more specific than "cook" which is to prepare by applying heat).

I opened the oven door, put the pan in, and WHAM! My eyes started to burn and my nose was hurting from the smoke.

I hate oven cleaner. It never comes all the way off the first five times wiping it out. It smells awful and is probably poisonous to normal people. Why do we use it? Because we are inherently lazy beings that do not want to do more than we have to, even at the cost of our longevity.

I grabbed the brownies out of the toxic oven when I was finally able to concentrate on something besides my burning eyes. I was very, very upset.

But, to make a long story short...er, I finished baking them at a friends house where they were received with much joy and celebration.

The End.

P.S. The new recipe is decent, not my favorite.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Judith, I love you. I also loved this story. "Grandiose. Very grandiose indeed."